The Headless Hunt
|The Headless Hunt|
The Headless Hunt is a long level 64 quest played out in the Dark Forest.
Preview[edit | edit source]
Strolling around, the player finds a dead-brained Referick in his house. After restoring Referick back to life, the player is sent to hunt down and free the others whose souls were tampered in the same way as his.
Stage 1[edit | edit source]
» Talk to Referick.
- Referick: . . .
- Referick stares at you with soulless eyes...
Stage 2[edit | edit source]
» Investigate the strange cave under the castle further.
|Location||Near Dark Forest||X||-1090||Y||62||Z||-5588|
Stage 3[edit | edit source]
» Return the Lost Soul of Referick to its owner.
- Referick: . . .
- The soul of Referick enters the lifeless body through his white eyes, which begin to gain colour once more.
- Referick: ...urgh...
- Referick: ...wha...what, where am...I? Oh, I can see again, I'm breathing!
- Referick: I don't really know where I've seen you before. Did- did you bring me back? I'm so old now...How long have I been gone?!
- Referick: What is the date? Oh my... It's been, thirty years!? The Dullahan took me prisoner, and I escaped, but that is the last thing I remember before feeling... lost.
- Referick: This is insanity... Where has my life gone!! What do I do with myself now?
- Referick: And... Oh God, no! I wasn't the only one! There were hundreds, if not more of the villagers that were taken!
- Referick: My body escaped and returned here, but the Dullahan's prison is a magical one, my soul could not leave.
- Referick: You saved me, you just have to save the others! I don't know where they were moved to, but I bet you can find out.
- Referick: Go to the Dullahan's mansion, he used to live there before he lost his head. It’s southeast of here, you can't miss it, it's almost in ruins.
Stage 4[edit | edit source]
» Go to the Dullahan's old mansion.
Stage 5[edit | edit source]
» Search the Dullahan’s old mansion for the story of the Dullahan.
- There is some kind of message about a cursed, bloody altar hidden nearby. A crude diagram points to the south side of the mansion.
Stage 6[edit | edit source]
» Go underneath the Dullahan’s mansion to investigate the blood altar.
- ???: ...H-Hello? Follow my voice... You must help us! We've been trapped in here for centuries!
- ???: Hundreds of years ago, this mansion once belonged to Mr. Dullahan. A terrible man who used the men of the forest to work for him, for next to no pay.
Stage 7[edit | edit source]
» Search the torture chambers for the spirits.
- ???: If someone disobeyed him, they would be dragged down here, and tortured so much, the entire forest could hear. He ruled through fear.
- ???: One by one the working men were taken to what became known as the Dullahan's pit. None of the people were ever seen again. That is, until we escaped.
- ???: We executed Mr. Dullahan, but when the forest started to decay, he returned, even more powerful than before. He recaptured us and to this day our souls linger by his curse. You must destroy our chains! Free us!
Stage 8[edit | edit source]
» Destroy the Lost Spirits to free them.
Stage 9[edit | edit source]
- Referick: Welcome back. It feels so strange to be talking again... I am guessing you were successful?
- Referick: Oh, thank you. You've freed the souls of not just me, but generations of men captured by the evil Dullahan. And yet...
- Referick: You see, it isn't over. He will never forgive, he will never forget. The Dullahan is still alive to this day.
- Referick: He watches us all from his castle on the hill. Sometimes, during the full moon, he rides into the night and takes another for his prison.
- Referick: Many people have fought, and lost against him. I've heard from next door they just lock up and hope it's not them now...
- Referick: If you ever want to truly free us from evil, you must seek out the Dullahan. But, I bet even you humans don't walk to your own deaths!
- Referick: The evil in this forest appeared long before the forest started to decay, I can tell you that, my friend.
- Referick: Anyway, I am getting out of here. It turns out the money I had in the bank gained a lot of interest over 30 years, I'm now rich! So here, take some. You freed me, after all.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Dullahan is a reference to Irish folklore, in which he rides a black horse and carries his disembodied head in his arm.